The Adventures of Betttie | mediaplayer

Thursday

Ramallah-A-Ding-Dong

After recent shocking revelations, Bettie’s mixed-up mind has no chance to settle before she finds her next mission is to put the fun into fundamentalism.

Look, I’m not gonna get all mushy. Mother’s back and turns out she’s cooler  than Steve McQueen in a Mustang convertible. The USS Invincible’s just as crazy. We’re just as broke. So what’s next? The Mamas and Papas ride off into the sunset for a lurid lesbian affair?

For the record, mother’s summation of the last thirty-plus missing years is that upon discovering my father’s high heel and hemline hijinks, she tried to top herself, then when that failed fled in shame. Father continued to be stuck in his sexual revolving doors for a few years – hence, ta-da! Muffy – but ultimately settled on what mother’s calling “genital verification surgery”. And, hey, how was this particular 2nd Grader to know that the woman she saw leaving the house most weekends was in fact daddy slipping in and out of frocks. Or indeed that my real mother hadn’t “flown up to join the angels”, but instead was sucked into this weird mind-controlling cult, was shut away without contact to the outside world, and bound by a moral code that, frankly beggars belief. I mean, poverty, chastity and obedience? So, yep, mother in absentia turned Mother Superior. I mean, could this story get any stranger?

Yet this does mean nobody was killed by anyone, which, though comforting, does also kinda feel like I’m being somehow short-changed in the drama department. But after mother’s personal life history 101, it still leaves one big burning question: Just how crazy is my stepmother? Father. Whatever.

OK, so to put the final nail in the Bunnie/Warren wedding coffin, let’s finish with a few bon mots from the airport limo:

Big Frank: “Oh, wasn’t Bunnie’s wedding like a religious experience?”
Muffy: “I’m bulimic because you left us!”
Dinkelïcker: “Interesting…”
Jerinda: “Right, after the I-dos, it’s back to the to-dos!”
Mona: “I hate America. It gets on me nerves.”
Me: “Om Mani Padme Om… Om Mani Padme Om…”

Back at Akron International while Mona, Jerinda, stepmother – sorry – father – sorry – second mother, his – sorry – her psychiatrist and his –yeah, his – wife all went left, we went right and boarded a plane with weird squiggles graffitied all over it.
“Guff Air?” I said, looking at my ticket. “That doesn’t sound like it’s going to England.”
“It isn’t,” Big Frank replied. “It’s going to Palestine.”

Diary, I wasn’t sure if it was time for his medication or mine.

Turns out that, since our finances were lower than a well digger’s ass, Big Frank Googled ‘cheapest server space on the planet’, top of the list was this Palestinian refugee camp just outside the capital Ramallah. Apparently, it’s got all kinds of perks – weak gaming laws, automatic shielding from legal liability, being twinned with Chernobyl – but no mention of the fact that me and yashmaks aren’t exactly best buddies.

Apparently, Hubby #3 thought I’d be pleased as, with all that sand and burning buildings, at least it’ll be a damn sight warmer than the Isle of Man in the winter. Of course, he could have picked any number of other sunny gaming jurisdictions; Antigua, Malta, Vanuatu, Curaçao… in fact, anywhere else in the fricking world. Boy, and he wonders why whenever he boards a plane, I get the weirdest urge to run down the aisle screaming: “Pigs can fly!” 

“I’m sure it’ll be fine,” he explained, showing me a printed letter of introduction. “It’s just a quick scouting trip…”
“I await you with my pleasure,” the email finished. Great.

We finally met up with our guide – Mahmoud – at the terminal, which wasn’t easy as everyone looked as if they were off to an audition as Osama Bin Laden’s body double. Personally, standing around in wide-brimmed hat and Versace halter dress, I was petrified of being stoned to death as a barbarous infidel for showing my shoulders. I shouldn’t have worried. Because that’s when our beaming Muslim Tonto handed me my burka…