The Adventures of Betttie | mediaplayer

Thursday

Altar Egos


A less-than-celebratory Bettie joins half the population of Akron, Ohio as they gather for the outrageously excessive wedding of her stepsister’s daughter.

Today’s weather: Sunny with a chance of suicide.

As the lovely Baz from Ballasalla’s haunted hairdressers once said, “One’s path through life is never as straight as you first imagine.” And right now, after the happy couple have risen into the blood-orange Akron skies in the only inflatable structure that’s bigger than they are, I can totally see his point. Who would have thought that after packing my bags to escape the only place in the US that has more Goodyears than a perky Pollyanna, I’d be back here in full-on festive flag-waving for the marriage of this – and, if my stepsister’s wedding planner had her way, any – millennium. 

Now, don’t expect me to dwell on each and every excruciatingly tasteless and ludicrously expensive detail, diary, as I have every intention that one day in my dotage I’ll re-read these pages, and have no wish to experience the event a second time. Suffice to say that unsurprisingly each and every single member of my family wanted their fifteen minutes of fame, but had overlooked the fact that today had twenty-four hours in it like all the rest of ’em. So let’s just hit the highlights.

Hmm… the best way to describe everything that happened from dawn hair and makeup to squeezing Bunnie through the double doors of the chapel in three words? Frock and Rolls.

Next came the all-inclusive Catholic service, a ceremony so lengthy that  several of the elder members of the clan were resuscitated by medics before the Hail Mary firework finalé. Special mention goes to the Feckswithins, who set a world wedding first with their mid-sermon Bible reading of the Whore of Babylon passage from the Book of Revelation.

“Come ye and I will show you the judgment of the great mother of harlots with whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication…”

Nice.

Then, it was all off in an armada of horse and carts to the reception at Muffy and Theodore’s palatial wilderness lodge, which was, I think you’ll find, best described by Better Homes And Gardens’ fifteen-page article, ‘Zillionaire Mansions That Cost More Than You’ll Make In A Lifetime’ as ‘the Taj Mahal of Cuyahoga Valley’.

Sheesh, it’s no coincidence Akron’s the meth capital of America, I can tell you. Seven hours of this, and I was about ready to slam needles into both armpits.

Arriving at the three-story balloon-tunnel entrance, I next had to guide my entourage through the double dangers of the meet-and-greet – “My word, Teddy! You’re alive!” – and the tossing of the bride’s bouquet – “Aw, butter-fingers!” – we – finally! – got to a bar.

“Oh, aren’t they a wonderful couple?” gushed Muffy in full mascara waterfall.
“Of what?” I replied.
“How’s mother?” she countered, changing the subject for far thinner ice.
“The phrase that springs to mind is ‘bag for life’.
“How about your accommodation?”
“Fine.”

Though to be honest, it’s anything but. Obviously with a circus troupe of twenty-eight, I told Hubby #3 to find somewhere cheap, but only Big Frank would consider the Akron Happy-Happy Joy-Joy Hostel. So now we’re vacationing in a dormitory-style shack where the all-Asian staff don’t know the word ‘Coca-Cola’ but can say ‘You like massage rub-rub” in twenty-seven languages.

The wedding breakfast – a stupid term as it was now frickin’ dusk – was another disaster as I got seated next to my incontinent aunt, Pissie Chrissie, who’s never survived a meal without voiding her bladder, and her two ravished daughters. If you think I meant to write ‘ravishing’ there, I’ll take it you’ve never met them. There are actually three in total, but the youngest’s so ugly she has to eat in her room with a sack on her head. And people wonder why the stork has never paid a visit to my personal gooseberry bush...

For my sins, I just tried to keep my head down and focus on my Crêpe Suzette, rather than thoughts of the honeymoon and how it’s gonna redefine forever the term ‘bumping uglies’. And I was doing well until I noticed a group of Muffy’s golfing friends pawing over Mona’s handwoven sacks of sugar-coated almonds.

“Are they recycled?”
“Well…” started Mona.
“Considering they’re knitted from crotch hair gathered from used Brazillian wax strips,” I interjected, “I think the term you’re searching for is pre-loved.”

The resulting mass-panic bitch stampede was, I thought, easily going to win the Biggest Shock of the Evening Award, but I’ve been wrong before. And it turned out tonight was no exception. In the run-up to this travesty of taste, I was worried half to death that my Missing-Presumed-Dead daddy would show up. I shouldn’t have wasted my time. Because, just around then was when my actually dead mother walked in…